Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dear George Lucas: Watch your back.

If you are reading this, chances are you are either a geek or know a geek well enough to have more than a passing familiarity with geekdom. If you are a geek, it could be further surmised that you consider yourself either a Star Trek geek (Trekkie) or Star Wars geek (Wookie?).

As you might have guessed, I am a bona fide, card-carrying Star Wars geek with the bed sheets, toys and Han Solo blaster to prove it. With apologies to a friend who shall remain nameless (Stephanie), I always thought the question of which science fiction franchise was better wasn’t a question at all. Star Wars was and always would be better, end of story. The Millennium Falcon was cooler than the Enterprise. Han was cooler than Kirk. Hell, even Ewoks were cooler than Tribbles.

Yup, I went there. I described Ewoks as being cooler than something.
Recently, however, things have started to change and I have to admit, it’s kind of freaking me out. It all started with the Prequel Trilogy. There were some amazing moments in each of them (most of them involving Ewan McGregor and the score by John Williams) but as much as I desperately wanted to love them and accepted that I’d outgrown their target demographic, overall, they just weren’t that good.

One of the things that helped fill the geeky void in my heart after the disappointment of the Prequel Trilogy wasn’t sci-fi and wasn’t even a movie, it was Lost. The two-hour pilot of Lost still stands as one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen on TV and I was immediately hooked and have enjoyed the ride ever since. Obviously, the reason I bring this up is because of Lost co-creator, executive producer and pilot director J.J. Abrams.

Jack? Adoring fans. Adoring fans? Jack.
Unless you’ve been kickin’ back on the dark side of the moon, you are no doubt aware that that very same J.J. Abrams is directing the new Star Trek movie, which is set to reboot the franchise when it is unleashed on May 8th, 2009. As much as the Star Wars fan in me wants the movie to suck like Jar-Jar, the fact of the matter is Star Trek looks fucking awesome and those that have seen it are quickly running out of hyperbolic ways to describe its awesomeness.

The reviews, the trailer, the aesthetic, the cast, the pedigree… it’s enough to warm the heart of any true geek – even those frozen in carbonite. While all those things are impressive, the thing that finally wore down any remaining resistance I may have harboured was this: “fire everything!” My response? “Fuck yeah!”

Eric Bana: FIRE EVERYTHING! Me: FUCK YEAH!
It’s a very special thing for two little words to change the heart of a lifelong Star Wars fan, but there you have it. (I just hope this doesn't mean I need to buy a United Federation Starfleet tunic now.)

So watch your back, George. J.J.’s gunning for you.

No comments: