Saturday, April 4, 2009

Things That Are Awesome: The Star Wars Edition

As you may have been able to guess from Pop Culture A.D.D.'s top-25 movie characters post, I love Star Wars -- despite the fact that there hasn't been a really good Star Wars movie in 29 frickin' years (26 years if you love Ewoks).

Like a woman who keeps going back to her adulterous, slap-happy spouse and hoping this time will be different, I will always love Star Wars, no matter how poorly the franchise treats me. Even after everything that has happened (Here’s to you, Natalie Portman / Padme dying of a broken heart.) and the thousands of dollars George Lucas has extracted from me and my family over the years, I still love Star Wars.

Maybe it’s because my Star Wars pillow case used to make me feel cool; maybe it’s because the original, black Han Solo blaster was one of the most bad-ass toys ever; maybe it’s because the Christmas my brother and I got the Millennium Falcon was the best Christmas ever. Really, it’s about more than just good memories. It comes down to the fact that the whole Star Wars experience was shared by an entire generation, which perhaps inevitably led to this:

Please note: The inside of the sleeping bag was designed to look like tauntaun intestines. That. Is. Awesome.
Created as an April Fool’s Day joke by the wonderful bastards at ThinkGeek.com, the tauntaun sleeping bag may well be the pinnacle of human achievement. Sure, the internet and the internal combustion engine and the Concord are all well and good, but they are no tauntaun sleeping bag, that’s for sure.

It's ok, you are among friends here, you can admit you want one too.
So thank you, ThinkGeek.com and all the Star Wars fans out there who pulled together and decided that their life wouldn’t be complete without one of these beautiful April-Fool’s-Day-gag-turned-geek-dream-come-true sleeping bags to call their own.

No comments: